100 Years Ago Today on 15 June 1917
One hundred years ago on 15 June 1917
31st Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force was a sub-unit of the 9th Canadian Field Artillery Brigade in the 3rd Canadian Division. The 9th Brigade war diary records:
Visibility fair in morning and quite good in afternoon. Enemy planes very active today, a number crossing our lines. Enemy Artillery below normal.
3rd Canadian Divisional Artillery war diary records:
Fort George – Visibility poor. Our Artillery active O.O.100 covering raided areas and enemy approaches. Enemy sent some gas shells into VIMY. Otherwise situation was very quiet.
AMMUNITION Expended. A:1025. AX 392. BX 199. Guns in Action. 67. 18.pdrs. 15.4.5” Hows. 2” T.M.2
5th Canadian Siege Battery, Canadian Artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force was a sub-unit of 1st Canadian Artillery Group. Their war diary records:
Nothing to report.
1st Canadian Heavy Artillery Group war diary records:
Cabaret Rouge – War Office having decided to increase the establishment of Siege Batteries from 4 to 6 howitzers, additional sections authorized to be formed at Shorncliffe, Kent, to bring the 9 Canadian Siege Batteries in France up to new establishment, competent N.C.O’s of the rank of Corporal and Bombardier picked from each battery and returned to England to aid in the training of the new sections. One officer also picked from each battery to take charge of section for his particular battery.
General Officer Commanding, Royal Artillery, Canadian Corps war diary records:
In the Field – Weather, fair and warm.
Nothing to report.
The 15th Field Artillery Regiment RCA perpetuates the following sub units:
31st Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force,
5th Canadian Siege Battery, Canadian Artillery, Canadian Expeditionary Force,
68th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, North Russia Expeditionary Force, was not authorized to be formed until 3 August 1918, and
85th Battery, Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force was not authorized to be formed until 12 July 1918.